Questions to Consider
Consider these questions while reading this module:
- What is intellectual property? Why does the law protect it?
- What rights do trade secrets, patents, copyrights, and trademarks give their owners?
- What are trade secrets and what must a business do to protect them?
- What are the requirements for patenting an invention?
- What is patent infringement?
- What remedies are available for infringement?
- What "writings" can be protected by a copyright? How?
- Must copyrights be registered to be protected?
- How long does copyright protection law?
- What types of unauthorized use may be protected as "fair use?"
- What types of marks can be trademarked?
- What are the penalties for trademark infringement?
- How long is a trademark protected? Is it still protected if it's regarded as "generic?" Why or why not?
- How are domain names like trademarks?
- How does the Anti-Cybersquatting Act protect domain name holders?